Project Safety Net NY’s Health homes department went to the state capitol in Albany on March 1st and 2nd to lobby for the health home coordination program. This particular program has faced significant budget cuts in the past but now they are attempting to impose more budget cuts. The Health Home program was created by the Affordable Care Act as an optional State Medicaid benefit to coordinate care for people who have chronic complex health care conditions and are facing challenges in staying healthy. With this program, Health homes have improved the quality of care significantly for many with chronic health challenges, with data showing
- 11.1% reduction in readmission to a hospital within 30 days of discharge.
- 35% decrease in members with transmittable HIV
- 15% reduction in homelessness
- 29% reduction in alcohol use among members who drink after a year
- 26% reduction in drug use among members with modest or severe drug use after a year
Our staff, along with many other agencies in New York was able to show the importance of this program and how we serve our clients.